Do you need to obtain a new licence, modify/renew or replace an existing licence for an agent? You will find all the necessary information here. You can download the appropriate form or fill it out online while learning about the steps to follow to submit your request.
In Québec, you are obliged to have an Agent Licence to exercise private security activities, which means :
- to be a private security agent; or
- in certain circumstances, to be an immediate superior of one or more private security agents.
You can obtain a licence in one or several of the following 6 security activities :
- Transport of Valuables
- Electronic Security Systems
- Locksmith work
- Security Consulting Services
Apply for your Licence
To obtain your Agent Licence, you must send us your documentation and pay certain fees. You can also ask your employer for assistance in making your licence request.
DocumentsYou must provide the following documents :
1- The form to Request an Agent Licence completed correctly;
2- A copy of documents that prove that you meet the training requirements, if that
applies to the licence category you are requesting :
- If you have completed the obligatory training, your diploma or a grade transcript if you have not yet received your diploma;
If you possess the required practical knowledge and skills, you may need to supply :
- the diplomas you received in domains associated with private security;
- a transcript of the grades in pertinent courses that you have completed;
- Attestations of internships or other training activities that you have
- completed; or
- Attestation letters that your employers have completed that detail the
- principal tasks that you were responsible for in the domain of private
- security, as well as your years of continuous services.
3- Proofs of your Identity:
- A copy of your birth certificate issued by the Directeur de l’état civil du Québec or by the competent government authority if you were born outside Québec; and
A copy of your driver's licence issued by the SAAQ (mandatory if you have one), or if you do not have one, a copy of another piece of photo identification among the following:
- RAMQ health insurance card
- Canadian citizenship certificate (card)
- Permanent resident card
- Work permit
- Refugee card
- Two (2) identical photographs that meet the following criteria:
passport format (5cm x 7cm);
taken on a white background;
facing front, from shoulder up;
taken during the 6 preceding months.
In addition :
your head must be uncovered (no hat, cap, etc.);
the date must be stamped on the back; and
the photographs must be identified and authenticated by your respondent or a Commissioner of Oaths.
FeesTo obtain your licence, you must pay a total fee of $135. This amount includes :
- $53 that ensures your licence remains valid for the first year.
These fees will be reimbursed if your request for a licence is refused or annulled.
Attention! If you wish to engage in private security activities in more than one category, you must obtain a different licence for each of the categories.
You must, therefore, pay the $53 fees for each licence you request, even if you are making your requests simultaneously.
In addition, each licence request must be acompanied by an individual payment (one sole payment for several requests will not be accepted).
- $82 for the Verification of Security Conditions.
These fees will not be reimbursed if your request for a licence is refused or cancelled.
You will not, however, have to pay these fees if you have already obtained another licence that is still valid. These may be:
- an agent licence that you obtained in another category, or
- an agency licence that your employer has obtained and for which you have been verified as a person. In this case, you must notify us when applying for which agency the verification has been made and when. In addition, the dates of payment of the annual fees for your new agent licence must be identical to those of the agency licence in order to do only one verification. Your licence may be issued for a period less than five years.
Proof of ReceiptTo confirm that we did receive your Licence Request, we will send you a proof of receipt by e-mail.
You will not receive a proof of receipt by mail. It is, therefore, important to supply us with your e-mail address in the Form to Request an Agent Licence and ensure that it is clearly legible.
Attention! Your proof of receipt will only prove that you have made a licence request. You must wait to receive your licence before engaging in private security activities.
Decision of the Bureau de la sécurité privée
Before we can grant you an agent licence, we must verify that :
- you are at least 18 years of age;
- you qualify under the Security Conditions outlined by the law; and
- you have met the training requirements, if they apply to the licence category you are requesting.
We could refuse your licence request if :
- you do not meet the conditions;
- over the course of the last five years we have refused, not renewed, suspended or revoked one of your agent licences.
Cancelling your Licence Request
To cancel your licence request, simply send us a licence cancellation letter request. You can send it by mail or e-mail or drop it off in person at our offices.
We will, consequently, reimburse the $53 fees you paid to have your licence validated.
Attention! Your employer can not request the cancellation of your licence on your behalf.
Once You Have your Agent Licence
Pay the Annual FeesEvery year, you must pay fees to conserve the validity of your licence. You must make the payment before the due date inscribed in your licence.
For example, if it is inscribed : « valid: 2010-07-22 to 2015-07-21 » on your licence, you must pay the annual fees by July 21st, the latest, every year.
In all cases, we will send you a letter 30 days before the expiry date to remind you and explain how to pay. You will receive a proof of receipt as soon as we receive your payment.
Advise us of Any ChangesYou must advise us, by writing, of all changes that could affect the validity of your licence. These, for example, could include :
- change of employer; You can send us your notice or your form by mail, by e-mail, or by fax.
- a charge for a criminal infraction;
- a conviction for a criminal infraction.
Incompatible Employment is Not PermittedYou are not permitted to occupy a position that is incompatible with the private security activity that you received a licence for. For example, you can not join the police force at the same time.
You can communicate with us to receive more details on incompatible employment positions.
Add a Category to your LicenceYou can request an additional licence for each of the categories of security activities where you do not yet have a licence. To do so, you must complete the pertinent sections of the Form to Request an Agent Licence.
As soon as you make your request, you must pay the $53 fees to ensure your licence is valid throughout the first year. You will not, however, have to pay the fees for the Verification of Security Conditions if the licence you already have is still valid.
You must also send us a copy of the documents that prove that you meet the Training Requirements, if they apply to the licence category you are requesting.
Note. It is not necessary to send us your photos, birth certificate, or proof of identity.
Renew your LicenceYour agent licence will be given to you for a period of 5 years. You must, therefore, submit a request to renew your licence every 5 years..
This request must be sent to us at least 45 days before the expiry date of your licence. We will send you a letter to remind you, and explain how to proceed with your request.
At the moment that you submit your request, you must pay the fees applicable at that time.
Replace your LicenceYou can replace your licence if it is lost or stolen. To do so, complete the Form for Licence Replacement and send it to us. Replacement costs are $25 plus taxes.
Ceasing your Security ActivitiesIf you foresee that you will be ceasing your security activities, you must advise us by writing, specifying the exact date. Your licence will be revoked as of the date that you specify. No money will be reimbursed.
Section 16 of the Private security Act states that:
16. A natural person carrying on a private security activity and that person's immediate superior must hold an agent licence of the appropriate class.
However, if they are carrying on the private security activity exclusively for an employer whose business does not consist in carrying on a private security activity, they are required to hold an agent licence only if the private security activity is their main activity.
Therefore, your licence application, as an immediate superior, is the same as an agent licence. You must provide the same documents and pay the same fees.
However, Section 3 of the Regulation respecting the training required to obtain an agent licence to carry on private security activities indicates that you will be, as an immediate superior exempted from required training to have a private security agent licence if you do not carry on such an activity.
A temporary licence is given for a maximum period of 120 days.
You can request a temporary licence for one of the following reasons:
- You still need training before you can obtain a private security licence. For example, you need a temporary licence to become an apprentice in a company.
- An employer requires your services for a very particular investigation, most notably to act as an undercover or double agent.
- An employer temporarily requires your services for an exceptional event, for example :
a sporting activity;
a cultural activity;
a labour dispute;
Request your Temporary LicenceThe request for a temporary licence must be done in the same manner as the Request for an Agent Licence. You must provide us with the same documents and pay the same fees.
In addition, you must provide us with a written declaration from the person who wishes to retain your services. It could be, for example, your future employer or the person in charge of your apprenticeship.
This declaration must explain why and how this person is temporarily in need of you. This declaration must also outline :
the nature of the activities you will be engage in;
the date of the event or the investigation; and
the name of the person who will supervise you and their agent licence number.
Once you have your Temporary LicenceYour temporary licence will only licence you to engage in the security activities that have been specified in your licence and for which you have been authorized.
For example, if you received a temporary licence to work at one agency, you can not use it to work at another agency. Similarly, you can not continue to work for your employer once the event that was specified in your request is terminated.
In addition, while you are engaging in private security activities, you must, at all times, remain under the supervision of a person who possesses an agent licence in the same category as your temporary licence.
Renewing your Temporary LicenceThe temporary licence is valid for a maximum period of 120 days. That said, throughout the year you can renew it as often or as long as the reason that it was granted remains valid.
The temporary agent licence may be renewed by paying an administrative fee of $35, as long as the holder needs itfor the same purpose for which it was obtained. If the temporary licence is renewed for a period exceeding one year, an additional fee will be charged, in accordance with the Regulation under the private security Act. For example, a temporary agent licence issued for the purposes of exercising private security activities during a labour dispute may be renewed if the same labour dispute is ongoing and the agent's services are required for a longer period.
However, a temporary licence holder cannot receive a licence renewal free of charge when the renewal is for an event that differs from the event and/or activity for which the temporary licence was originally issued. For example, a temporary security guard licence issued to enforce private security activities during a cultural event does not allow the agent to provide services at another cultural event.
If the agent wishes to practice a private security activity at another cultural event, he must reapply for a temporary or regular licence, depending on the situation.
Attention! You can not renew your temporary licence numerous times without a valid reason. In such a case, we could refuse to renew your temporary licence and oblige you to request an agent licence.
Converting a temporary licence
A temporary licence, obtained while following a recognized training to qualify for a regular agent licence may be converted into a regular licence. The temporary licence holder must pay an administrative fee of $35, complete and submit to the Bureau the Licence conversion form—Training and present proof that the training required by the Regulation on training was successfully completed.
Access to your Agent File
Access to your Agent File
Other Useful Information
The Different Categories of Private Security Activities
Guarding: Surveying or protecting people, things or valuables in order to protect and prevent.
Investigation : Searching for people, information or things.
Locksmith work: Installation, upkeep and reparation of locking devices
Transport of Valuables: Transporting money, securities or objects of value.
Electronic Security Systems: Installation, maintenance and surveillance of alarm systems, video surveillance or access control.
Security Consulting Services: Consulting in methods of protection against theft, intrusion or vandalism.
Should you require it, we invite you to consult the legal definitions of the different categories of private security protection in Article 1 of the Private Security Act.
The Necessary Training and Equivalents
To obtain a licence in the following security activities, you must successfully complete the required training or have equivalent skills and knowledge.
Guarding LicenceYou must successfully complete the training in private security guarding, for a minimum of 70 hours training. This training must be offered by a school board that provides you with a diploma and a transcript of your grades.
The guarding training program includes three (3) courses that cover the following :
- The security guard field and its functions, legislation as well as the standards of behaviour (30 hours)
- Emergency procedures (24 hours)
- First-Aid Techniques (16 hours)
- The content of the training;
- The school boards that offer the training in your region;
- Resource people to contact;
- Dates to commence courses;
Furthermore, in accordance with Article 112.1 of the Private Security Act, and following the recognition by the Minister of Public Security of certain training courses, other than those provided by the Regulation on training in security guarding,the Bureau will accept the following training courses, which, to be accepted, must be taken and successfully completed effective from the date on which the training courses have met the required conditions for their recognition.
- Since October 1th, 2012 : the training course « Agent de sécurité privée », offered by Académie Canadienne d’Entraînement Tactique;
- Since March 12th, 2015 : the training course « Agent de sécurité des commissionnaires », offered by Corps canadien des Commissionnaires (division of Quebec);
- Since January 15th, 2015 : the training course « Formation professionnelle en gardiennage et surveillance », offered by Montréal Élite Sécurité;
- Since February 27th, 2014 : the training course « Sûreté privée », offered by Services Professionnels de Formation en Sécurité et Enquêtes (SPFSE Inc.);
- Since May 30th , 2016: the training course «Agent de sécurité certifié» offered by Groupe de sécurité Garda SENC
- Since April 13th, 2016 : the training course « Formation de gardien de sécurité », offered by Agence de sécurité Mirado Inc.
Investigation LicenceYou must:
- have successfully completed the course « Initiation aux techniques d'enquête et d'investigation » offered in a college-level educational institution (Cegep); or
- have received, in the past five years :a Diploma in College Studies in Police Technology; or
- a Bachelor’s Degree in Security and Police Studies; or
- an equivalent diploma recognized by the Minister of Education, Recreation and Sports (MELS).
Locksmith LicenceYou must obtain a Diploma of Vocational Studies in Locksmith work or an equivalent diploma recognized by the Minister of Education, Recreation and Sports.
To find details on the Locksmith work program, visit l’Inforoute de la formation professionnelle et technique.
Transport of Valuables licenceYou must have successfully completed training in « Maniement des armes à feu et recours à la force » given by the ecole nationale de police Québec or by an instructor who was qualified by them.
Licence for Security CounselingYou must prove that you have the required professional skills and knowledge to engage in security counselling. Some of the things you can provide us with are :
a copy of your curriculum vitae accompanied by attestations from your employers;
a copy of pertinent diplomas;
a copy of all pertinent documents that you have received from a known professional order.
Equivalent Skills and KnowledgeYou may obtain an agent licence even if you have not completed the required training. You must, therefore, prove that your skills and knowledge are equivalent to the prerequisite training.
We would require the following to evaluate your file :
- the diplomas that you have received in pertinent or closely related fields;
- the nature and content of the courses that you have taken as well as the results you received;
- the apprenticeships and other training activities you have undertaken;
- the nature and length of your security experience.
The Verification of Security Conditions
The Private Security Act obliges us to make certain verifications with the Sûreté du Québec before granting an agent licence.
To be granted an agent licence, therefore, you must :
- not be judged guilty of a criminal infraction or another infraction that is associated with the private security activity you are requesting a licence for, unless you have received a pardon; and
- be of good moral character, which means you must conduct yourself according to society’s morally acceptable mores.
Agent : Someone who engages in activities in one or several of the 6 categories of private security activities. The term « security agent » should not be used. We should, instead, refer to a « Security Guard » or a « Private Investigator », for example.
Commissioner of Oaths: A person who is authorized by the government and who has the power to vouch for another person. This endorsement is helpful in making a signature or testimony more official or more credible.
To find a Commissioner of Oaths, you can :
- consult the Search for a Commissioner of Oaths available on the Justice Québec web site; or
- call the Commissioner of Oaths Customer Service at :
418-528-5761 (Québec and surroundings)
1-855-297-5761 (toll-free in Canada).
Respondent: A person who can confirm the identity of the person applying for the agent licence. To comply with the requirements of the Bureau de la sécurité privée, the respondent must:
- be 18 or older;
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- have known the person applying for the agent licence personally for at least 1 year;
- authenticate a photo of the applicant;
- be available to answer the Bureau's questions.
Note: If the applicant does not know anyone who could act as his respondent, the only people authorized to authenticate his identity will be either a commissioner for oaths, a notary or a lawyer. Otherwise, he will have to apply in person at the Bureau de la sécurité privée.